Saturday 9 February 2013

Show Us Your South Africa


During my preparation for #TEP2013 there are of course many challenges that come my way. The obvious one would be travelling a nation, something that on its own is a tall order. Similarly with an under-taking like this, a project with a small budget, it had to encapsulate the diverse nation that the world thinks they understand. The fact being that only locals understand South Africa, only South Africans have been a part of the nation’s history, and will be a part of its future, a nation that is not comparable to any other. Now I say this because non South Africans feel justified in labelling the country and its people. It is more complicated than that.

With this complication in mind how could I possibly capture the people over the course of 2012 and 2013 let alone the original task of 2012 on its own? The answer is that I could but it would not be a true representation of the heartbeat of a country that is my home and that of 51 million others. All patriotism and arrogant expression of South Africa aside, a population of that size is best covered in time.
Now comes the quandary. Time is not on our side. With the impending all critical date of 2014 looming, a date which will signify a generation since the democratic re-launch of South Africa, time is clearly of the essence. So what can I do? Well, the solution is bring South Africa to me. I will cover what I can, film what is possible and all the rest can come from you. This is your chance to be a part of The EXPEDITION Project and tell your story, whatever it may be.
So, as part of #TEP2013 I am calling out for South Africans from all over the country to send me in a film clip of their view of the nation, their life, their environment, their town, anything that sums up their world. Or in fact it can be anything you want to share with us about South Africa. This will form part of our 2014 documentary. Let this be your chance to share your opinions, voice, impression and artistic skill.
Call it My South Africa. Film ‘a day in your life’ on your phone or anything you can, try and keep it to an edited or un-edited 5 minute format if you can, then mail me your details or pop me a comment below and I will give you instructions on how to send it to us.
Need some inspiration? Watch the movie Life in a Day
Good luck and thank you for being a part of this journey.
@RogerWynneDyke
{jcomments on}

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?